Jamb Syllabus for Use of English 2023/2024 PDF Download
Download the complete Jamb syllabus for Use of English 2023/2024 in PDF, you can also read it here on this web page. This Jamb Use of English Syllabus is where the Jamb Use of English questions for the 2023 jamb exam will be set from.
Kindly make out time to study all topics on this Syllabi, and don’t forget to read the Jamb 2023 Novel, The life Changer, as some critical questions will be set from there too.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Questions Are in Jamb English?
The Jamb Use of English is 60 questions in all which consist of Comprehension/Summary, Lexis Structure, and Oral Forms
How is Jamb English Score Calculated?
In Jamb Use of English, Comprehension passages questions carry 3 marks each, Cloze passage questions carry 2 marks each, Novel questions carry 1 mark per question, Sentence interpretation questions carry 2 marks each, Antonyms questions carry 2 marks each, Synonyms questions carry 1 mark each, Sentence completion questions carry 1 mark each while Question test on oral is 1 mark each.
If the total score for English set for you is 60 but you scored 50, JAMB concludes with this calculation: 45/60×100 (in percentage). Then, your mark will be 75%. This calculation conforms with the official JAMB syllabus explanation in their 100 questions standard.
Jamb Syllabus for Use of English 2023
This Jamb Use of English Syllabus provides guides to all candidates who register to sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) on the content of the English Language to be tested in the examination.
The examination is designed to test the knowledge of candidates in any and every aspect of the syllabus developed for Use of English. It is therefore expected that candidates for the UTME must have adequate knowledge covering the entire syllabus of the English Language subject.
Particular attention must be paid to recommended books and literature for some subjects, as questions would be set from such references in the 2023 Jamb UTME.
In order to encourage the culture of reading, a compulsory recommended book is usually sold to every candidate at the point of registration. The book’s content is tested as part of the questions in the Use Of English which is compulsory for every candidate. Therefore, every candidate is advised to ensure that he/she is given a copy of the book at the point of registration.
CHECK OUT: How to Answer Jamb Cbt 2023 Exam Questions
USE OF ENGLISH
1. GENERAL OBJECTIVES
The aim of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) syllabus in Use of English is to
guide candidates in their preparation for the Board’s examination. It is designed to evaluate the
candidates’ ability to:
- communicate effectively in both written and spoken English; and
- Use English Language for learning at the tertiary level.
2. The syllabus consists of three sections:
- SECTION A: Comprehension and Summary
- SECTION B: Lexis and Structure
- SECTION C: Oral Forms
3. DETAILED SYLLABUS/CONTENTS
A. Comprehension and Summary
- (a) description
- (b) narration
- (c) exposition
- (d) argumentation/persuasion
- (i) Each of the three passages to be set (one will be a cloze test) should reflect various disciplines and be about 200 words long.
- (ii) Questions on the passages will test the following:
- (a) Comprehension of the whole or part of each passage.
- (b) Comprehension of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech, and idioms as used in the passages.
- (c) Coherence and logical reasoning (deductions, inferences, etc).
- (d) Approved Reading Text (The Life Changer by Khadija Abubakar Jalli).
- (e) Synthesis of ideas from the passages.
NOTE: Synthesis of ideas means the art of combining distinct or separate pieces of information to form a complete whole as summary.
Candidates should be able to:
- i. identify main points/topic sentences in passages;
- ii. determine implied meanings;
- iii. identify the grammatical functions of words, phrases, clauses, and figurative /idiomatic
- expressions; and
- iv. deduce or infer the writers’ intentions including mood, attitude to the subject matter, and opinion.
B. Lexis and Structure
- (a) synonyms
- (b) antonyms
- (c) clause and sentence patterns
- (d) word classes and their functions
- (e) mood, tense, aspect, number, agreement/concord, degree (positive, comparative, and superlative), and question tags
- (f) mechanics
- (g) ordinary usage, figurative usage, and idiomatic usage.
NOTE: Idioms to be tested are those that are formal and expressed in Standard British English. (SBE).
Candidates should be able to:
- i. identify words and expressions in their ordinary, figurative, and idiomatic contexts;
- ii. determine similar and opposite meanings of words;
- iii. differentiate between correct and incorrect spellings;
- iv. identify various grammatical patterns in use;
- v. interpret information conveyed in sentences.
C. Oral Forms
- (a) Vowels (monothongs, diphthongs and triphthongs)
- (b) Consonants (including clusters)
- (c) Rhymes (including homophones)
- (d) Word stress (monosyllabic and polysyllabic)
- (e) Emphatic stress (in connected speech)
NOTE: Emphatic stress involves the placement of stress on words in an utterance for the purpose of emphasis.
Candidates should be able to:
- i. make distinctions among vowel types;
- ii. differentiate among consonant types;
- iii. identify correct pronunciation of individual words and articulation of connected speech.
D. THE STRUCTURE OF THE EXAMINATION
SECTION A: Comprehension and Summary
|(a)||1 comprehension passage||5 questions|
|(b)||1 cloze passage||10 questions|
|(c)||1 reading text||10 questions|
SECTION B: Lexis and Structure
|(a)||Sentence interpretation||5 questions|
|(d)||Basic Grammar||10 questions|
SECTION C: Oral Forms
|d||Word Stress||2 questions|
|e||Emphatic Stress||2 questions|
Total: 60 questions
Recommended Textbooks for Jamb Use of English 2023
- Adedimeji, M. A (2021) Doses of Grammar. Patigi. Ahman Pategi University Press.
- Attah, M. O. (2013). Practice in Spoken English for Intermediate and Advanced Learners. Maiduguri: University of Maiduguri Press.
- Bamgbose, A. (2002). English Lexis and Structure for Senior Secondary Schools and Colleges (Revised Edition). Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Banjo, A., Adeniran A., Akano, A. and Onoga, U. (2004) New Oxford Secondary English Course Book six for Senior Secondary Schools. Ibadan: University Press Plc.
- Caesar, O. J. (2003). Essential Oral English for Schools and Colleges. Lagos: Tonad Publishers Limited.
- Jones, D. (2011). Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Egbe, D. I (1996). Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills. Lagos: Tisons.
- Elugbe, B. (2000). Oral English for Schools and Colleges. Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Grant, N. J. H., Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1998) Senior English Project 3. (New Edition) Harlow: Longman.
- Idowu., O. O., Sogbesan, T. S., Adofo, A. K., Burgess, D. F. and Burgess, L. J. (1998) Round-up English: A Complete Guide, Lagos: Longman.
- Idris, U. (2001). Oral English at Your Fingertips for Schools and Colleges. Lagos: M. Youngbrain Publishers.
- Igiligi, E. C. and Ogenyi, S. O. (2010) Grammar and Composition in the G.S.M. Age. Enugu: Joe Hills Production Services.
- Jauro, L. B. (2013). Oral English for Schools and Colleges: A Teaching and Learning Approach. Yola: Paraclete Publishers.
- Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1989) Common Errors in English. Lagos: Longman.
- Obinna, M. F. (2001) University Matriculation Use of English. (Fourth Edition). Port Harcourt: Sunray Books Limited.
- Ogunsanwo, O., Duruaku, A. B.C., Ezechukwu, J. and Nwachukwu, U. I. (2005) Countdown English Language (Revised Edition). Ibadan: Evans Brothers.
- Olatoye, S. (2006) The Silent Teacher. Ado-Ekiti: Segun and Sons Enterprises.
- Oluikpe, B. O. A., Nnaemeka, B. A., Obah, T. Y., Otagburuagu, E. J., Onuigbo, S. and Ogbonna, E. A. (1998) Intensive English for Senior Secondary School 3. Onitsha: Africana. First Publishers.
- Tomori, S. H. O. (2000) Objective Tests for School Certificate English: Practice in Lexis, Structure, and Idiom (Reprinted Edition). Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Ukwuegbu, C., Okoro, O., Idris, A. U., Okebukola, F. O. and Owokade, C. O. (2002) Catch-up English for SSCE/UME. Ibadan: Heinemann.
Jamb Use of English Syllabus 2023 Images
Below is the complete Jamb Use of English Syllabus 2023 Images which you can download directly to your mobile phone or PC. To download, click and hold any of the images, a popup window will appear, click SAVE IMAGE.
- Jamb Registration 2023/2024 Form, Date & Price
- Jamb Cut-off Mark 2023/2024
- Jamb 2023 Expo WhatsApp Group Link
- How to Check Jamb Result 2023
Jamb 2023 Use of English Syllabus PDF Download
Click on the download button below to download Jamb 2023 Use of English Syllabus as PDF:
JAMB 2023 Syllabus at Your Fingertips: Find All Subjects Here
- Jamb Syllabus 2023/2024 PDF for All Subjects
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Use of English
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Mathematics
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Physics
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Chemistry
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Biology
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Agricultural Science
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Arabic
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Christian Religious Studies
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Commerce
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Art
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Computer Studies
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Economics
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for French
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Geography
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Government
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Hausa
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for History
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Home Economics
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Igbo
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Islamic Studies
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Literature in English
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Music
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Physical and Health Education
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Principles of Accounts
- Jamb Syllabus 2023 for Yoruba
The UTME Syllabus is a dynamic document that is reviewed from time to time, with attendant changes to the content and recommended books for the different subjects. In view of this, candidates are to ensure that they are up to date with the content of the syllabus for each subject in the year of their examination.
If you have any questions regarding this Jamb Syllabus for Use of English 2023/2024, don’t hesitate to ask via the comment section.